AN ODD DAY

When I turned on my television this afternoon and realized that Notre Dame was on fire, I called my friend Jeannie to alert her (She rarely has her TV on at that time of day)  Then I called another friend, Ted to tell him about the fire.  (Ted has been a frequent visitor to Paris over the years.)  He was not at home so I left a message.

I continued to watch the TV coverage until they signed off.  And the moment, they signed off, the phone rang.  Thinking it might be Ted, I picked it up and heard a rather weak voice say "Hi Grampa."
(Inner thought: Why is he calling me Grampa?)   Ted continued, "I've been in a car accident and I've got a broken nose."

"How awful," I said.

"An old lady ran into me and broke my nose."

"Were you alone in the car?"  (Inner thought: Was your partner Martin with you?)

"No, I was alone. And the cops think it was my fault.  I'm calling from the courthouse."

"Where did the accident happen?  Near your home?"   (Inner thought: This doesn't sound like Ted.)

"It was in (unintelligible)"

"I don't know where that is."

"I'm in North Carolina."  (Inner though:  My friend Bob lives in North Carolina.  Is this him?)

Finally, I said  "I'm confused.  Who is this"

"Your eldest." was the reply."

"What's your name?"  I inquired.

"Mike."  (Inner thought: I have an estranged nephew named Mike.)

"Who were you calling?" was my last question before the scam artist hung up.

A very odd call on a very odd day that totally caught me off guard because of the fire in that magnificent cathedral!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR