LOOK MA, I'M DANCIN'


I did "Funny Girl" at the Meadowbrook with Denise Lor (a popular TV singer from "The Garry Moore Show") and Johnny Desmond (another popular singer who was the first replacement in the Broadway/Streisand production)


I recall that Desmond had his own take on things: "Barbra did it this way," much to the chagrin of Ms. Lor who wanted to do it her way which caused some occasional friction in rehearsals.  That all eased considerably once the show opened and everyone realized that Ms. Lor was quite capable and had the role in the palm of her hand.  She was very, very good!

Unfortunately, that was not my case, at least not in rehearsals.  I was playing the role of John (which I don't remember at all) and also in the chorus.  The choreographer (Jim Smock) had been in the Broadway version and insisted that this chorus would do the original choreography by Carol Haney (and overseen by Jerome Robbins).  And some of it was a "killer" particularly a number in the first act called "Coronet Man."  It involved playing an instrument (faked) and intricate steps culminating in dragging a chair off stage along with dragging your feet (toes down)  Jim ran me through it till I was blue in the face and my toes were red.  But I got it.   By opening night, I had decided that I was a dancer.  Maybe not a great one but a dancer, nonetheless.  Below is a picture of the original number with Ms. Streisand.  Use your imagination and you can see me there.  I'm the one on my knees with the coronet (what else?) I'm sure Barbra would have been proud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR