THE FANTASTICKS

My first brush with "The Fantasticks" was a Summer stock production in which I played the boy.


Years later, at the Meadowbrook, I was assigned the role of the mute in a production starring Allan Jones.



For those of you unfamiliar with Mr. Jones, he was a star in the 30's and 40's (as well as being the father of singer Jack Jones.)  Decidedly too old for the role of El Gallo, nonetheless the audiences loved him.  And he was a very friendly fellow.

He and his lovely wife, Maria,  hosted the entire company for a party in their apartment on the upper west side of  NYC, where we were treated to a screening of one of his best films, the original 1936 film of "Showboat" with Irene Dunne, Helen Morgan, Paul Robeson and Hattie McDaniel.  He was quite dashing on screen and I was very impressed.  (It's worth a look, should it ever come your way.)

But, back to the Meadowbrook.  As you may surmise, my role had no speaking lines.  The part was just a mime who provided props as needed.   At one point, I was even a wall separating the young lovers. (see picture below)

I also learned a "trick of the trade" doing this show.   I found out that if I opened my eyes extra wide and stared straight ahead (during a poignant scene) the overhead stage lights would cause me to start crying.   Worked every time.  And I could always hear the audiences at ring side whispering..."Look.  He's crying."   You see, it's not always acting, sometimes it's just a minor irritation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR