ROBERT CUMMINGS

Traditionally, the starring role in the musical "Sweet Charity" is the title character, Charity Valentine.
But in the production I did, the star was Robert Cummings.   He played three parts, each a paramour of Charity.  Our Charity was a young star on the rise named Luba Lisa who tragically was killed in a plane crash on a snowy Vermont night in 1972.  Another noteworthy name in the production was Elaine Cancilla who went on to marry Jerry Orbach of  "Law and Order" fame, many years later.

Robert Cummings ("Call me Bob") was a gregarious man with an infectious smile and a sunny disposition that lit up a room.

In the production, I played the role of Daddy Brubeck, a kind of hippy guru.   On the plus side I had my own number with my followers, "The Rhythm of Life" and while no photos exist of my costume I remember it consisted of a fringed vest, bell bottoms, and a head pieces worn by Saudi princes.  Quite the eye catcher, I was.

I enjoyed doing the show and even had a brief fling with Ms. Cancilla while I was still exploring my "options."

Mr. Cummings was a delight to work with (and again like my encounter with Ray Milland, I should have asked him what it was like working with Hitchcock on "Dial M for Murder" and the much earlier "Saboteur."

And at show's closing the obligatory signed photo came my way...... The inscription reads..."To LaRue  Thanks for your kindness and your cooperation  - you're a real great talent.  Sincerely, Robert Cummings  "Sweet Charity" Meadow-Brook 1968"  ("Thanks for your cooperation" is just a lovely sign of his dry wit.)

He passed away in 1990 at the age of 80 after a very long career that was well deserved.  I'm glad I knew him, brief as it was.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR