TAB AND ME

As I have posted earlier, I did "West Side Story" with Tab Hunter.   A few years later, at the Wedgewood Dinner Theater, I played Hugo Peabody in a production of "Bye, Bye, Birdie" with Tab again as the star of the piece.  And it was one of my favorite roles.   Upon closing, Tab gave me this picture which reads...."To Lash LaRue - You've been a real BRICK throughout - Many thanks. Tab Hunter"



Fade out, Fade in..... Don, my roommate at the time had done a show with Jonathon Frid (that Barnabas guy from TV's "Dark Shadows") and he was invited to a party at Jonathon's house.  Upon hearing my name and our affiliation from the Pittsburgh Playhouse days,  (I did a production of "Taming of the Shrew with him) ,Jonathon told Don to "by all means bring him along."

At the party. we were greeted by a butler and ushered into the living room which was practically overflowing with various types who barely acknowledged our arrival.

Then, suddenly, from across the room, a voice cried out, "LaRue!" and Tab Hunter rose from an over-stuffed chair, ran over and grabbed  me, in the warmest bear-hug ever, lifting me off the floor.  Murmurs abounded about the place and I realized we had "arrived."  And it was great to see an old friend albeit a movie star.

Two months later,  I received a postcard from Tab who was then shooting a picture in Rome.   He wrote  "The pope says hello."  He was a really, really great guy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR