DOROTHY COLLINS

Wonderful lady....I worked with her twice...... The first time was in "On a Clear Day you Can See Forever" at the Meadowbrook  (where else?')  and coincidently Fabian came out to see the show which had a  friend of his (Fred Cline) in the cast.   I don't remember meeting him but he claimed he rode back in the company car which I drove.

Anyway, the second time I  worked with Dorothy was in "The Apple Tree."  As assistant stage manager (I also had a small role in the show) it was one of my duties to check on her each evening to see if she needed anything and be of service.




One particular night, as I approached her dressing room (The door was always open, she was always available.)  I found her reading a script called "The Girls Upstairs."   She explained that she had just received it that morning and had been asked to do it on Broadway.

The rest is history....."The Girls Upstairs" eventually turned into "Follies." (The Stephen Sondheim musical)



Pictured are Alexis Smith, Yvonne de Carlo and Dorothy Collins with a "showgirl."

I went to the last preview before the opening in 1971 and backstage, Dorothy was ecstatic.  The room was filled with well-wishers (me included) and so I didn't stay long.   Sadly, Yvonne de Carlo who was also in the show had already left by the time I found her dressing room.   So I missed seeing her again. 
All in all, it was a night to  remember.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR