THE CHESSMEN

About 1962, during my college years,  I was the member of a folk-singing group called The Chessmen. (The Kingston Trio debuted in 1958.)  Organized by a brilliant guitar player by the name of Chuck Cowan, he recruited me and another friend named Max Gile to form this group. I was the comic of the group (doubling on bongo and conga drums and faking guitar as best I could)  and Max played the bass. Chuck, being the real musician always played the lead (electric) guitar.





We practiced a lot, bought matching clothing, had photos taken and played for various group gatherings on campus.   And while I don't remember exactly how it came about, in due time we had a "manager" on campus and an agent (from Kansas City.)  So, we gave up school for the time being to pursue this new goal.

The agent got us various gigs throughout the mid-west.   The first one was in Moorehead, Minnesota, just across the border from Fargo, North Dakota, at a spot called Sunset Lanes....  Yes, you guessed it.  It was a bar at a bowling Alley.  We played there for two weeks and in general had a good time, honing out craft and learning the ropes.

There was also a trip to Denver Colorado for another outing only to find out, upon arrival that the venue had burned down as we were en route, thus we didn't know about it until we got there.

More places followed....Ultimately landing us at a club in Kansas City named "The Castaways"
where we spent three or four months. It may have been more. But it was a dream job.  Staying at a nearby motel, we had our day's free to do whatever we wanted. (I think I saw the movie of "West Side Story" five or six times at the Plaza Theater.)

About this time, our "manager" Gary Mason, who also taught photography, decided we should cut a record.  Today, they call them vanity pressings and most young musicians have there own CD for sale wherever they are playing.  But back then, it was kind of a big deal and vinyl.  One of our "specialty" songs was a number I was featured in called "Chickens."   It became to last cut on the album and thus the name.....

The album was sold at "The Castaways" and we began to have quite a following of regulars who would come in to see us.   (Were they groupies?   I'm not sure, they were all over 21.)   As a side note, I saw the album for sale on Ebay a few years ago.  I didn't bid and I don't know if it sold of not.

While at "The Castaways, we became fast friends with a couple of the bartenders who invited us to a party (after closing) one night.  And I had an eye-opening experience.   We were the only white people at the party.  Suddenly, one knew what the black community had experienced for generations.  I'll never forget it and I'm grateful for that moment.

Time moved on.   There were more mountains to conquer.  Max decided he wanted to return to school and finish his education.  Chuck lit out on his own (and well-deserved, I must say).  And I applied to a Summer Stock company run by Bill  Putch and his wife Jean Stapleton.  And I was accepted to be an apprentice at the Totem Pole Playhouse in Fayetteville, Pennsylvania.   But that's another story.  Tune in next week...………..

Comments

  1. What fun it was to take a road trip to KC to see our friends perform. I guess I was one of those groupies. How I got in at 17 I don’t remember but I do remember the fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR