MEAN AND NASTY

Be forewarned, this story may be a little hard to take, but it's all true. 

When I acted in a production of "Guys and Dolls" at the Meadowbrook, the star was Tony Martin. He was undoubtedly my least favorite "star" I  worked with over the years.  Here's why.

There was a small toilet just outside the Chorus Boys dressing room.   It was for everyone to use.
However, if it was occupied, Mr. Martin had the disgusting habit of coming into the chorus dressing room and urinating in the sink.  I mean, he couldn't even go back to his own sink in the "Star" dressing room?

Also, on more than one occasion, he would ad lib an insult aimed toward his leading lady, a lovely but slightly overweight actress.  When she fell into his arms as per her direction he would quip "Jeeze, she just gave me a hernia."

Now, if that's not enough,  I remember we were at the theater on a matinee day when we all learned that Robert Kennedy had been assassinated.  Mr. Martin proclaimed loudly, backstage , "Well, somebody finally shot the little "C....sucker."

Then, at curtain time, he mounted the stage proclaiming his sorrow and proceeded to lead the audience in singing "Battle Hymn of The Republic."

A mean, nasty, foul human being and a totally unpleasant experience.  And I never looked at Cyd Charisse (his wife) the same way again.  In hindsight, there must have been a reason, she never attended a show.  In summary, I shed no tears when I heard that he had died.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR