MARILYN AND BIG CHUCK

You see the word "Marilyn" and you automatically think of Marilyn Monroe.   But there was another one....Marilyn Maxwell.  She was in the movies in the 40's and 50's....most notable with Bob Hope in "The Lemon Drop Kid" that introduced the Christmas song "Silver Bells."

Early on, in my "career" at Meadowbrook, I was the Technical Assistant on a production of  "Kismet" starring Ms. Maxwell.  Johnny Carson, at that time, had taken up saying "Ho-kay" as one of his catch phrases when he was perturbed by or questioning a guest.  I had taken it up as well.  I don't know why.  But Marilyn found it amusing.

A week of so into the run, Marilyn said, "Guess what?  Big Chuck is coming to the show tomorrow night. I used to date him and  I can't wait for you to meet him.  Ho-kay?"

I did not know of whom she spoke but I replied "Ho-kay!"

And sure enough, the next night, the costume mistress found me checking the props backstage and said that Marilyn wanted to see me.

I climbed the stairs to her dressing room and knocked on the door.

"Come in," said the familiar voice.   I entered and Marilyn did the introductions.  "LaRue, this is Big Chuck."

"Ho-kay, LaRue," said Big Chuck.  "I understand you're my competition."

I was speechless.  Really!   Competition?  I mumbled something like "I doubt it." in my stupor.   You see, Big Chuck turned out to be Rock Hudson!  And what do you say to Rock Hudson?

Pandemonium broke out that night when Marilyn during the curtain calls, introduced him.  He was seated in the balcony in a curtained off space.  And the women below on the main floor went bananas as he leaned over the side and waved to the audience.  Imagine, I was Rock Hudson's (I mean, Big Churk's) competition. It was truly a night to remember.

When the show closed, Marilyn gifted me with a Tiffany silver key chain with my name on one side and  "Love, Marilyn" etched on the other, as well as the picture below.  She was a wonderful person and I'm glad I got to know her.  Alas, she and Rock are no longer with us except in my cherished memory of that night.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR