MS. SOTHERN HAS HER SAY

I was the stage manager for a production of "Gypsy" at the Meadowbrook Dinner Theater starring Ann Sothern as Mama Rose.

When a certain show had a large number of roles to be filled, some of the actors would "double," playing more than one part.  Such was the case in "Gypsy."  Playing Electra (one of the strippers) was a young woman named Tina Faye who also played the small role of Miss Cratchitt, secretary to Flo Ziegfeld.

Early in rehearsals, Tina was absent for some reason or another and as stage manager I read her part, standing in, on stage, while the director blocked the scene.  When that particular scene was finished I saw Ms. Sothern take the director aside for a short conference.   I don't recall if the producers were included in their conversation.

At any rate, much to my surprise, it was quickly announced that "the role of Miss Cratchitt will be cut out of the scene.  In her place, we will now have Mr. Cratchit to be played by LaRue."   I was a bit stunned, to say the least.

Later, when we were on a ten minute break, I asked Ms. Sothern what had happened.  "Don't worry.
Tina will still be playing Electra but, honey, you were getting laughs where there aren't any laughs and I liked that."

And I liked Ann Sothern...………...No, I loved her!  She was a real pro!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR