BEGGERS

In the early 70's, there seemed to be a plethora of beggars all over New York City.   They would attack your car with pails of water and squeegees in hand, should you have to stop at a light.   Some people would turn on their windshield wipers in an effort to deter these vagabond entrepreneurs.  But I always felt a bit sorry for them and would usually give them some spare change if I had any.

There also were the homeless ones who simply begged for money with no effort to offer you a service of any kind.  Two brief encounters come to mind.

The first.....I was dressed to the nines and on my way to the theater to see some show or another when a dowdy older woman approached me.  "Got any spare change," she asked.

I replied that I didn't and walked on. Not to be hindered and seeing my attire, she called after me "Got any spare gold?"  It made me laugh.

The Second....Never take anything for granted.  One time, I saw an apparently homeless man half sitting but mostly leaning against a fireplug just down the street in the direction I was walking.  Seeing his cup for loose change that might come his way, I fumbled in my pocket and came up with three quarters.  As I passed him, I gingerly tossed the coins into his cup.

And I splashed his coffee all over him.  I quickened my pace to avoid his wrath but took solace in the fact that I had donated enough for another cup of coffee.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR