GALE STORM

In quite a few B-movies of the 40's, there was Gale Storm...("It Happened on Fifth Avenue") 

Then in the 50's, she was all over Television.... ("My Little Margie," "The Gale Storm Show," and "Oh, Susannah!") 

Then there were the hit records....("Dark Moon," and "A Little Too Late.").

Welcome to the 60's......Gale Storm as Nellie Forbush in "South Pacific" at the Meadowbrook.  I was the stage manager and one of the "There is Nothin' Like a Dame" seabees.  First of all, everybody loved Gale.   She was quick with a laugh and a pleasure to be around, on or off stage.

And speaking of off, we were off  two days a week.  At this time (1967) a new wunderkind had emerged upon the cinema scene and Gale suggested to me and my assistant stage manager, Frank Birt, that we go to the movies on one of those days.....to be specific,  she wanted to see Roman Polanski's "The Fearless Vampire Killers or Pardon Me, But Your Teeth Are in my Neck." ("Rosemary's Baby" would come out the following year.)

So, on the appointed day, Frank and I converged at Gale's hotel, called for her and the three of us caught a cab to the Baronet Theater on Third Avenue.

A side note: There were four movie theaters in a row on 3rd Avenue....the Coroner, the Baronet, Cinema I and Cinema II.  At an earlier date, (1963) I had gone to Cinema I to see Albert Finney in "Tom Jones."  During the somewhat lewd and very funny "eating scene" with Joyce Redman, the gentleman seated behind me opined "Oh, really!"  Upon exiting the theater I realized it was Noel Coward!

But, back to Gale.....We departed the cab and Gale said, "Wait here."  She scurried to the box office, said a few words and waved for us to "be patient."  After a few minutes a gentleman appeared.  Gale spoke to him briefly and pointed at us. Then, as the man left, she waved for us to join her.

"We're in," she chirped.  "Freebies. They remember me."   If you'd met her, you'd never forget her.


The photo is inscribed....."To LaRue - What a talent - But more than that, what a wonderful person!
lots of love, Gale Storm"

Look up "wonderful person" in my dictionary and you'll find Gale Storm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR