SHOPPING AT HAMMACHER

In New York City, on 57th Street, west of Fifth Avenue was a most unusual store by the name of Hammacher Schlemmer and while it still exists today, it has decidedly moved into the electronic age, selling all sort of programmable paraphernalia (at least, according to their catalog).  Back in the time I'm speaking of, it sold a mix of exotic and strange things.

While I was not directly involved in this incident,  I relate it as an anecdote of the surprises one finds in everyday New York City.

One winter, as my friend, Fabian was doing early Christmas shopping, he had journeyed from store to store, browsing and buying, eventually ending up at Hammacher Schlemmer.

Heading for their food department (I'm not sure it still exists) he was checking out the various items, squatting down, most likely looking for escargot, when he received a slight tap on the shoulder.

"Young man," said a rather husky feminine voice, "Could you pass me a tin of elephant meat?"

And Fabian, his mouth agape, handed the requested can to Ingrid Bergman.

"Thank you, kind sir," she smiled and drifted away.

I wish I'd been there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BERNADETTE

PUZZLES, CONTESTS AND SUCH

THE BEAR